These dogs are not allowed to live normal lives, instead they spend their time chained in place, training or fighting. They live in small cages and in filthy conditions. Handlers use extraordinarily heavy chains to hold dogs in place, frequently adding weight to them, all with the purpose of increasing a dog’s upper-body strength. Dog are kept close to each other, but just out of reach in order to increase their antagonism.
To build endurance, dogs are forced to run on treadmills and to swim in pools sometimes for hours. To enhance aggressiveness, the animals are frequently beaten and antagonized. They may also be starved. As part of training, handlers will take cats or rabbits and use this animals as “bait”. After training with the bait, the handler unchains the dog and allows him to kill it. Handlers make their dogs tug on hanging objects, like tires to increase jaw strength. Some handlers file their dogs teeth to be as sharp as possible so that maximum damage can be inflicted (source: people.howstuffworks.comdogfighting3.htm)
There are 5 major techniques that dog men employ to justify dog fighting to:
- Denial of the victim– Most dog men deny the dogs are victimized by the culture of dog fighting. The dogs are glorified as fighting machine.
- Denial of responsibility– Dog fighting is portrayed as something that comes naturally to the dogs. They’re born to kill. Dog men found moral vindication through denial “we’re not hurting anybody and the dog’s love to fight. So what’s the harm?”
- Denial of injury – Dog men claim the dogs are treated well, both before and after the fights, what happens in the pit-well, “they enjoy it”.
- Appeal to higher authority – “Old timers” are praised as heroes, dog men believe it will raise their status by getting heavily involved.
- Condemnation of the condemners– dog fighters often see themselves as a misunderstood group, victims of cultural genocide.
Don’t let Indonesia be the next international animal welfare loophole in the indiscriminate breeding and abuse of Pitbull dogs. It takes a village, people from all walks of life to work together to stop cruelty to animals. Cruelty to animal’s not yet a sexy issue in Indonesia, compared to politics, corruption, etc.
- If you’re a writer, blogger, social network activist, etc, please write about cruelty of dog fighting in Indonesia and the steps to stop dog fighting.
- If you’re a lawyer, advocate, judge, policeman/woman, government authorities, please help to strengthen and enforce animal protection law in Indonesia.
- If you’re street artist, musician, painter, tattoo artist, designer, photographer, don’t hesitate to show off your stop dog fighting works.
- Who ever you’re, with your talent and skill we’re calling you to march together in stop dog fighting movement in any creative ways you can think off.
Take action to stop dog fighting in Indonesia!
Download this poster and post them.
Where’s the dog? What happen to him/her? Close down all fighting dogs concentration camp! Let’s rave in the Battle Against Animal Rotten Cruelty, contact to firstname.lastname@example.org with your fresh and cool ideas. It’s a better way to get people motivated to do something than to only let them see the problem. Invite your friends to “STOP DOG FIGHTING!” (source : @AnimalFriendsYK)
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animal are treated-Mahatma Gandhi
Happy Independence Day INDONESIA ^0^